The Teton Sports Scout 3400 Internal Frame Backpack is aimed at the youth and light backpackers of the backpacking world. Designed to be a comfortable and affordable backpack, it has features such as aluminium stays, padded waist and shoulder straps, and lumbar support. It is made of tough fabric and designed to be durable and sturdy in order to survive the everyday wear and tear of the average backpack. The additional gear loops, compression straps and bungee are meant to allow the user to carry extra equipment on the outside of the pack. Use of a double drawstring closure is meant to keep everything in and an integrated rainfly is meant to keep everything out.
In the world of backpacks, nowadays, there are so many options to choose from. With all the various sizes and functions of the different packs, it’s difficult to decide which pack is right for you and for your needs. In this review, we will go through all the specifications and features of the [easyazon_link identifier=”B001KBYPIG” locale=”US” tag=”allaroundcamping-20″]Teton Sports Scout 3400 Internal Frame Backpack[/easyazon_link], as well as providing a list of pros and cons to help you decide if this pack is right for you.
[easyazon_image align=”center” height=”500″ identifier=”B001KBYPIG” locale=”US” src=”http://www.allaroundcamping.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/41McXRZS6SL.jpg” tag=”allaroundcamping-20″ width=”259″]
Teton Sports Scout 3400 Internal Frame Backpack Features
- This pack has a dual aluminium stay internal frame
- Made from 600D ripstop material
- Contains a sleeping bag compartment at the bottom of the pack, separated by a zippered divider.
- Torso harness adjustment between 15 inches and 19.5 inches
- Adjustable chest strap for torsos of different width
- It has 2 zippered side pockets, one on each side
- There are 2 mesh pockets below the zippered pockets
- Bungee stash storage on the front and the top of the pack
- The pack has a waist belt which is adjustable from 26 inches up to 60 inches
- Shoulder and waist straps are padded and the backpack has a mesh lumbar support
- Compressions straps on the side and front of the backpack
- Double drawstring closures are used to close the pack.
- It is hydration compatible and can fit a bladder of up to 3 liters ( bladder not included )
- This backpack also has an integrated rainfly attached
- Teton provides a limited lifetime warranty
- The pack on it’s own weighs 4.5 pounds ( 2.41 kgs )
- It has a volume of 55 liters
- The backpacks measurements are: 33 x 17 x 12 inches (84 x 43 x 31cm)
[easyazon_image align=”center” height=”333″ identifier=”B001KBYPIG” locale=”US” src=”http://www.allaroundcamping.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/51ExvaQSckL.jpg” tag=”allaroundcamping-20″ width=”500″]
- The scout 3400 has a lot of features for a backpack in the lower price range. Providing you with the features of the higher price range packs at a fraction of the cost.
- With 55 liters of volume, you will not be short of space with the scout 3400. The large size and pockets provide you with plenty of space for all your clothes and equipment.
- If the 55 liters of space is still not enough for your needs, then the scout 3400 has a solution for that. Compression straps, bungee stash storage and gear loops provide you with everything you need to carry any extra gear you need, on the outside of your pack. Tents, sleeping bags, extra shoes, ice axes, shovel and other items such as these can be carried on the outside of the pack thanks to these features and save you valuable space inside your pack.
- The backpack itself, when not too full and without gear attached on the outside can meet airline hand luggage requirements. Therefore, if you are doing international travel without too much gear, your backpack can qualify as hand luggage and save you any extra hold luggage carriage costs.
- [easyazon_image align=”right” height=”477″ identifier=”B001KBYPIG” locale=”US” src=”http://www.allaroundcamping.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/5119lyX9irL.jpg” tag=”allaroundcamping-20″ width=”500″]The scout 3400 is made from durable 600D ripstop material, making it tough and able to survive the everyday wear and tear experienced by the average backpack.
- When hiking and backpacking, stay hydrated is vital. Where there is no easy access to fresh drinkable water, water has to be carried with you. Being hydration compatible, the scout 3400 solves this problem. This backpack provides a space for a hydration pack of up to 3 liters, to keep you hydrated at all times. ( Hydration pack is not included )
- The harness of this pack is adjustable. Therefore, can be adjusted for your height and carry preference to ensure that it fits and can be carried comfortably.
- A waist belt, which is also adjustable, allows you to secure the pack to your waist. This helps to keep the weight of the pack closer to your body and distributes the weight over your hips. In doing this, the whole weight of the backpack is not concentrated in one area, but distributed over various areas. Doing this helps to make the pack not appear so heavy as well as prevent bad posture when carrying a heavy pack.
- The pack has padding on the waist and shoulder straps for increased comfort when carrying heavier loads and also has a lumbar pad for support, allowing you to carry your backpack comfortably without having to stop and rest constantly. Molded channels on the pack help to provide increased airflow between your back and the pack.
- For those rainy days, you don’t need to worry about your pack and clothes getting wet. An integrated rainfly on the bottom of the pack folds out to cover the backpack and keep it and all the contents nice and dry. Just be aware that the rain cover is only big enough to cover the pack. Any gear attached to the outside of the pack will not fit under the cover.
[easyazon_image align=”center” height=”333″ identifier=”B001KBYPIG” locale=”US” src=”http://www.allaroundcamping.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/41UysF2d97L.jpg” tag=”allaroundcamping-20″ width=”500″]
Though the Teton Sports Scout 3400 Internal Frame Backpack does have many great features, there are a few points that should be brought to attention to make sure that it is a backpack that will suit your needs.
- The lower price range may be reflected in the materials used. There have been some complaints about broken straps, broken zippers and broken buckles. This may be a result of the pack being overfull as there are also many who have no such complaints and praise the quality of the materials. Therefore it may depend on your intended use of the pack whether or not it will meet your requirements. Teton does provide a limited lifetime warranty however, and some individuals have been supplied with replacement packs at no extra charge when reporting their faulty packs to the teton customer service.
- Weighing in at 4.5 pounds ( 2.41 kg ) the scout 3400 is already quite heavy. Add the equipment and you have a heavy pack. This may be okay for smaller journeys, where you do not have to carry the pack for long periods at a time. However, when it comes to long journeys, where you do have to carry the pack for long periods of time without stopping, this extra weight can start to become a problem.
- The sleeping bag compartment is a great feature, however, it is too small for the average sleeping bag. Sleeping bags usually have to be carried separately on the outside of the pack. This is not a huge problem as the sleeping bag compartment can still be used for storage of other items or equipment or the zippered divider can simply be left open to provide one single, larger compartment. Not being able to carry the sleeping bag inside the bag can become a problem when it rains, as the rain cover will not cover any extra gear attached to the outside of the backpack
- With an adjustable harness of 15 – 19.5 inches, this backpack is only suitable for individuals with a height of 5ft9 or less. Taller individuals complain that they are not able to carry the pack comfortably and are unable to carry it for long periods at a time.
[easyazon_image align=”center” height=”500″ identifier=”B001KBYPIG” locale=”US” src=”http://www.allaroundcamping.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/51pUub2BIcJL.jpg” tag=”allaroundcamping-20″ width=”407″]
Teton Sports Scout 3400 Internal Frame Backpack Overall feedback
The [easyazon_link identifier=”B001KBYPIG” locale=”US” tag=”allaroundcamping-20″]Teton Sports Scout 3400 Internal Frame Backpack[/easyazon_link] is a product offering features that are normally found in products of a higher price range. It allows youth and light backpackers to benefit from the features of the more expensive packs without having to pay the high price.
The packs however are aimed at that particular demographic and might have a tough time reaching the higher standards of the more experienced and demanding backpackers. The construction and quality of the backpack, though good, may not stand up to the expectations of the long term backpackers that travel for months at a time.
As for the size, again, it is only suitable for individuals of 5ft 9 inches or shorter. This pack is not suitable for taller individuals who may start to experience discomfort when using this pack.
Overall, though this pack may not be suitable for the more hardcore backpackers, it seems to suit its targeted audience rather well. Younger individuals and smaller, shorter trips. It provides many useful features and could make for a great first backpack, an introduction into the world of backpacks and backpacking.
TETON Sports Scout 3400 Internal Frame Backpack; Great Backpacking Gear or Pack for Camping or Hiking; Mecca Orange
- HIGH RANKING PACK: Continues to be the top selling backpack on Amazon at a great price point for all the included features
- PERFECT BEGINNER OR QUICK TRIP PACK: Just right for youth and adults for light backpacking trips; best for 2-4 day adventures; 3400 cubic inches/55 liter capacity; weighs 4.5 pounds
- FIVE-STAR COMFORT: Multi-position torso adjustment fits wide range of body sizes; Durable open-cell foam lumbar pad and molded channels provide maximum comfort and airflow; Backpack for men and women
- TRUSTED QUALITY: Hundreds of 5-star reviews testifying to the great quality and design; includes large sleeping bag compartment, multi-directional compression straps, and multiple compartments and pockets for strategic packing
- LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY: At TETON Sports when we say "Limited Lifetime Warranty" we mean WE'VE GOT YOUR BACK! We have an AWESOME customer service team based right here in the USA. It's service YOU CAN COUNT ON to get your products taken care of and get you back OUTDOORS; #getoutdoors with TETON Sports