The Rightline Gear 110730 Full-Size Standard Truck Bed Tent was designed for campers on the go who are looking for a quick set-up, with little to no equipment. It provides quality shelter at an affordable rate. The Rightline Gear Truck Bed Tent is designed to fit several different truck models while still performing like a custom-made camping structure.
- The floorless design reduces wear and tear on the bottom of the tent, unlike a standard ground tent, and increases the interior volume available to occupants.
- The heavy duty straps with nylon buckles provide for a custom-style fit while reducing wear and tear on your vehicle that can be caused by metal pieces.
- The spacious interior allows for occupants to have plenty of room inside the tent.
- The water-resistant fabric with sealed seams help to weather-proof the enclosure while large windows and a mesh ceiling allow for great ventilation.
- A rainfly is included to further prevent inclement weather from affecting the occupants inside the truck bed tent and cover the mesh ceiling components.
- Color-coded poles and color-coordinated pockets allow users to easily identify where each support pole belongs for ease of set-up.
I have used the Rightline Gear Truck Bed Tent seven or eight times since purchasing it in mid-2015. My fiancé and I typically use it for a two- to three-day, weekend get-away for just the two of us, with or without some of our dogs. It has become our main tent for these kinds of camping trips, allowing us to set up more quickly, bring less equipment, and start enjoying our trip sooner.
For the price we paid, this truck bed tent more than meets our expectations. When compared to other truck bed tents and two-person ground tents, we are very happy to have spent less than $200 on a product we use for about a quarter of our camping season (spring to fall). We have used it in various weather conditions, including hot sunny days, windy cooler ones, and severe thunderstorms.
For the most part, reviews for this truck bed tent are high, averaging 4.3 out of 5 stars. The biggest complaints are in regards to seam issues and overall fit. We have personally found that the 6.5’ tent fits, albeit snugly, our F-150 even with its liner. While seams do appear stressed when fully erected, we have yet to actually tear any part of our tent and will continue to use it for short, impromptu trips.
- First and foremost, Rightline Gear provides multiple tent sizes to ensure the best fit for your particular truck’s make and model. While some reviews for this product indicate poor fit, for my extended cab, 1997 F-150, the 6.5’ truck bed tent fit perfectly. It is important to measure the bottom of your truck bed with the tail gate up to ensure you are purchasing the correct size. I did read reviews before I made my purchase and understood that tightening the straps should occur at the end of set-up to allow for repositioning while erecting the tent.
- For those who have ever camped, we all know it is extremely inconvenient to have paper instructions loosely included in the tent packaging. These items gets lost or destroyed easily. This is the not case here! The tent bag contains sewn-in weatherproof instructions to help with repetitive usage.
- Set-up is quick. We did do a run-through once before actually taking this truck bed tent out into the woods for a real camping trip. I highly recommend doing a dry-run. While the written instructions are not hard to understand, we found it more helpful to watch the video before setting it up the first time. In total, it took us 20 minutes to set up during the dry-run because we were extremely cautious about the strap tightening. However, even on solo-trips, it takes roughly 10 to 15 minutes to fully set-up.
- This tent is lightweight, compact and easily folds up to fit back into its included bag. When I compare the storage and carrying of this truck bed tent to my ground tents, I have found this one to be much more convenient, especially for load-and-go, impromptu trips. Not only is this easy to pack for camping, it can go anywhere I can take my truck. This tent takes up very little space and I don’t have to haul it to a campsite or struggle to cram it back into a poor-fitting bag.
- The Rightline Gear Truck Bed Tent is designed for two people. All truck bed tents typically are due to the standard width of a truck bed; this is expected due to regulation truck sizes. That being said, the interior is spacious, with a ceiling height of 58” (measured truck bed to tent top). While we use larger ground tents for extended camping trips, this tent is perfect for quick weekend getaways for two. Compared to my ground tent for two, this truck bed tent is much longer and a more comfortable fit for my fiancé to stretch out and sleep in. Because of its spacious, floorless interior, my fiancé and I can even take three of our dogs with us without fear of their claws tearing through the bottom and have confidence that it will comfortably shelter all of us.
- During our first trip with this truck bed tent, we had a severe storm. The water-resistant fabric held up to expectations. An important thing to remember about this is that water-resistant is not the same as water-proof. With the rainfly on, the fabric did prevent rain from getting into the tent and we remained dry, however, you could feel moisture accumulating on the actual fabric, even on the inside of the tent. When we arrived back home and allowed the tent to fully dry, we used a waterproofing spray on it for future use. We have not had any issues with moisture since.
- With ground tents, you need equipment: stakes, mallets, guy lines that extend outside of the actual tent footprint, tarps to prevent ground water from leaking through the tent floors, and much more. This tent requires none of that. Everything you need comes with the tent. There are no guy lines extending past the tent for people to trip over. It’s a convenient, but rarely mentioned, safety feature that my inattentive fiancé truly appreciates!
- While most of my experiences with the Rightline Gear Truck Bed Tent have been good, there are a few drawbacks that are worth mentioning.
- If you over-tighten the straps during assembly, you will likely split the seams on your tent. If there is one major, reoccurring complaint about this truck bed tent, the seams splitting is it. From personal use, I can attest to the fact that the seams are not well constructed, particularly in the corners. Even properly attached and fitted to my F-150, I have found that they do appear stressed. Because of the type of fabric used to construct the tent, this is concerning; this fabric cannot easily be patched.
- On a standard ground tent, the guy lines do help to pull the rainfly out from the tent structure and permit wind to better circulate under it and through the tent. Because it fits more snugly against the tent sides, the rainfly on this truck bed tent does hinder airflow more than it does on my ground tents. That is, it does not prevent all ventilation as there is a slight gape between the rainfly and tent, but it certainly isn’t going to allow for winds to whip through while attached.
- If you have a liner in your truck, as we do, the fit is very snug. This increases the importance of not over tightening the straps when initially setting up the tent. Certain truck models, per other reviews I read, seem to have increased issues with this.
Rightline Gear 110730 Full-Size Standard Truck Bed Tent 6.5'
1 used from $ 111.72
- Please click on Application Guide under Technical Specification below to confirm which tent fits your truck
- Floorless design allows for set up without removing gear from the bed
- Protective heavy duty straps and nylon buckles, won't damage truck's finish. Color coded poles and pole pockets for quick and easy set up
- Water resistant fabric with tape sealed seams (PU 2000mm)
- All truck tents sleep (2) adults; Includes: tent, rainfly, stuff sack, and sewn-in set up guide